Aug 3, 2013

Uncle Cheffy Cheesecake

By: The Moody Critic


While waiting for our food, I decided to have a quick tour around the restaurant just to kill the time. The thing that first attracted me was their cake display case. As I look upon the variety of desserts they had on display, one cake stood out among the rest... in a bad way! One look and you'll say that this is one of those forsaken desserts because it seemed to have stood inside the case way past its expiration date to be able to develop such moldy appearance. I left hoping that our paths would never cross again.

I chose the Uncle Cheffy Cheesecake for dessert because it was the most probable flagship dessert of this restaurant as the title suggests. However, as soon as this dessert was served on my table, I was in fierce denial because the cake looked very familiar. It dawned to me that it was that grotesque moldy dessert! Questions came rushing in my mind. Was the concept and presentation of the cake intended? Were they thinking of culturing Aspergillus species on this cake? And how would I find the courage to eat it?

Because this dessert carried the esteemed "Uncle Cheffy" title, it is very much expected that it should be the restaurant's best-seller. I really tried to grasp the idea that there must be something special under that ill-looking masquerade. Unfortunately, there was nothing. It was no different from your average cheesecake in terms of taste. The cheesecake matrix had this marked humidity accompanied by an undercooked mushy consistency. The matrix-to-base ratio was obviously out of proportion. The base was made too thick and it was evidently uneven throughout the length of the cake slice. Lastly, I find the plating really pathetic because it lacked the accentuating contrast needed to give this dessert that appetizing appeal.
Presentation: 4.5
Taste: 5.5
Texture and consistency: 5.2
Serving size: 7.5
Value for money: 5.4

Overall rating: 5.4/10
Mood: DISGUSTED
Resto: Uncle Cheffy
Address: 3rd Level Atrium, SM Megamall, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
Full food name: Uncle Cheffy Cheesecake
Price: P150.00