Aug 3, 2013

New England Pot Roast Beef

By: The Moody Critic


The first time I got acquainted with the pot roast was during my childhood days when I used to play the popular old game- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. After being dropped by the Flail Guard - a monster in this game, my mouth would usually drool over this item because it looked very tempting to eat. In those days, I promised myself that I would someday savor on this dish. Finally, I did; and I was not disappointed!

Seeing the gargantuan serving size of this dish, I was immediately shocked when it was finally served on our table. It can actually be shared by two persons. Surprisingly, it didn't look the same like how it was shown in the menu where it looked more of a typical beef stew. Nevertheless, the arrangement of the meat slices and the sprouts helped in giving that appetizing presentation.

The only way to deal with tough beef cuts like the ones used in this dish is through slow-cooking. So far, they were able to achieve this because the meat was very tender and succulent. However, what they failed to achieve was the Maillard reaction - the browning effect which the meat cuts evidently lacked. Lastly, the seemingly unrelated "ribs" was overcooked because some of its segments were already charred.

Excellent choice of flavors, well-cooked meat, generous amount of sauce, and more-than-enough serving size - sum them all up and you'll get a satisfied mouth and a happy stomach.
Presentation: 7.7
Taste: 8.0
Texture and consistency: 8.0
Complexity: 8.1
Value for money: 9.0

Overall rating: 8.0/10
Mood: SATISFIED
Resto: Uncle Cheffy
Address: 3rd Level Atrium, SM Megamall, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City
Full food name: New England Pot Roast Beef
Price: P495.00